There are at least three morals to this story:

​ 1. If possible, don’t pull in
to unknown campgrounds in the dark.
2. Never, ever drive a motor home on soggy
3. Just because it looks like a pull-through doesn't mean it is.

I’m sure you can think of a few more... :)
As Boo was moving the tow dolly out of the way of the coming tow truck, another man offered to help. When Boo declined the offer, saying he had it, the man said, “You’re not going to put it in the mud, are you?” Good. A little levity always helps.
We decided that digging our way out of the grass with a shovel wouldn’t work. So Boo called a tow truck company. They wanted at least $300 to pull us out, probably more. So he called a second company, who said they would do it for $250. Naturally we went with the lower bid. As it turned out, they only charged $180 because it was really easy to do. And quick. 
Fortunately the next morning was sunny and bright. Otherwise, we might have gotten really depressed. Boo went outside to assess the damage. Naturally, there were a couple of other men out there—men tend to congregate and shoot the breeze at RV campgrounds. One of the men exhorted him to “Remember, RVing is an adventure!”
So we quit trying to get out and sat down to wait for the owners. When they returned, we conferred with them and decided to wait until morning and reevaluate the situation. They were concerned that we might have broken the water line that was located under the gouge we had made. But nobody wanted to deal with the situation in the dark.
When Boo tried to pull forward, the back wheels started spinning…and spinning…and spinning. No forward movement. So we unhooked the car and dolly and tried it again. Still no forward movement. Being good northern winter drivers, we thought that rocking back and forth might help us become unstuck (like it does in the snow). But, no, it didn’t work that way. The gouge began to resemble more of a trench than a trail through the grass.
The grass was a soggy when we walked on it and we could see the gouge our tires had created, but we thought we could pull out and fix the gouge in the morning. What we didn’t know was that it had been raining for three days, and the ground was really, really soaked. 

We had called ahead to Ellie’s RV Park, so we had a space reserved. But when we pulled in we found that the spot we were told to set up in was taken. So we pulled into a different spot (that appeared to be a pull-through) to wait for the owners, who were supposed to get back in an hour and a half. But when we got out to look around, Boo decided he wanted to straighten the motor home as it had two wheels on the grass instead of the gravel drive. His intention was to pull out, drive around and come in straight onto the gravel.

We were on our way from Arizona to South Carolina. We had arrived in Texas at Pecos (where we had come south from Roswell, NM) then we drove on to Abilene, then through the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and finally stopped at Waskom, Texas (nearly on the Texas-Louisiana border). It had taken us pretty much all day. When we arrived, it wasn’t late, but it was dark.

Stuck in the Mud!

How We Roll

I wanted to video the pull-out, but by the time I got my camera ready, the motor home was moving—and I was still inside. When I got out, the deed was done. So I had to settle for some photos of the ruts we left in
the lawn. But at least we hadn't broken the water line!